Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha, is a city located in the state of Kerala in southern India. It is situated on the Arabian Sea coast and is known for its beautiful backwaters, which are a network of canals and lagoons that run parallel to the coast. Alleppey is an important hub for the coir and coir products industry and is also a major center for the production of rice and other agricultural products.
The city is home to a number of cultural and historical attractions, including the Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple, the Alleppey Beach, and the Alleppey Lighthouse. Alleppey is also known for its traditional Kerala cuisine, which features dishes like appam, idli, and dosa. The city is a popular tourist destination and is known for its houseboat cruises, which offer a unique and peaceful way to explore the region’s natural beauty.
Why Alleppey famous for?
Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha, is a city in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It is famous for several reasons, including:
- Backwaters: Alleppey is renowned for its beautiful backwaters, a network of canals, lagoons, and lakes that run through the city. The backwaters offer a unique and serene experience, and tourists can enjoy boat rides, houseboat cruises, and fishing in the backwaters.
- Beaches: Alleppey has several picturesque beaches that are popular among tourists. Marari Beach and Alappuzha Beach are among the most popular beaches in the city.
- Cultural and religious landmarks: Alleppey has several cultural and religious landmarks, such as the Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, the Arthunkal Church, and the Mullakkal Temple. These landmarks are popular among tourists for their historical and cultural significance.
- Houseboats: Alleppey is also famous for its houseboats, which are traditional boats converted into floating hotels. Houseboats offer a unique and comfortable way to explore the backwaters and stay overnight.
- Festivals and events: Alleppey is known for its colorful festivals and events, such as Onam, the Snake Boat Race, and the Nehru Trophy Boat Race. These events attract a large number of tourists to the city.
Overall, Alleppey is a popular tourist destination in Kerala, known for its stunning backwaters, beautiful beaches, cultural and religious landmarks, and unique houseboats.
How to reach Alleppey by road?
Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha, is a city in the southern Indian state of Kerala. There are several ways to reach Alleppey by road:
- By car: Alleppey is well connected by roads and can be easily reached by car from major cities in Kerala and nearby states. It is about 140 km from Kochi, the nearest major city.
- By bus: There are regular buses from Kochi, Thrissur, and Trivandrum that go to Alleppey. The Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) and private bus operators offer both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned buses.
- By taxi: You can also hire a taxi or cab to reach Alleppey from nearby cities.
It is recommended to check the latest COVID-19 travel guidelines and restrictions before planning a road trip to Alleppey.
How to reach Alleppey by train?
Alleppey has a railway station called Alappuzha Railway Station, which is well-connected to major cities in Kerala and other states in India. Here are the steps to reach Alleppey by train:
- Check the train schedules and availability: You can check the train schedules and availability on the Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) or through a travel agent.
- Book your tickets: You can book your tickets online through the Indian Railways website or at a railway reservation counter. It is advisable to book your tickets in advance, especially during peak tourist season, to get a confirmed berth.
- Reach the railway station: On the day of your journey, reach the railway station in time to catch your train. It is advisable to carry your tickets and a valid photo identification with you.
- Disembark at Alappuzha Railway Station: Once you reach Alappuzha Railway Station, you can take a taxi or auto rickshaw to reach your destination in Alleppey.
It is recommended to check the latest COVID-19 travel guidelines and restrictions before planning a train journey to Alleppey.
How to reach Alleppey by flight?
Alleppey does not have an airport, so the nearest airports are Cochin International Airport (COK), which is about 85 km away, and Trivandrum International Airport (TRV), which is about 150 km away. Here are the steps to reach Alleppey by flight:
- Book a flight: You can book a flight to Cochin International Airport or Trivandrum International Airport on a major airline website or through a travel agent.
- Reach the airport: On the day of your journey, reach the airport in time to catch your flight. It is advisable to carry your tickets and a valid photo identification with you.
- Disembark at the airport: Once you arrive at the airport, you can take a taxi or hire a car to reach Alleppey. The journey from Cochin International Airport to Alleppey takes about 2-3 hours by car, and the journey from Trivandrum International Airport takes about 3-4 hours by car.
Best Time time visit in Alleppey?
The best time to visit Alleppey depends on your preferences and interests. Here are some factors to consider:
- Climate: Alleppey has a tropical climate, with high humidity throughout the year. The temperature ranges from 23°C to 33°C. The monsoon season, from June to September, is characterized by heavy rainfall, and the winter season, from November to February, is cooler and drier.
- Festivals and events: Alleppey is known for its colorful festivals and events, such as Onam, the Snake Boat Race, and the Nehru Trophy Boat Race. If you want to experience these events, you can plan your visit accordingly.
- Tourist season: The peak tourist season in Alleppey is from September to March when the weather is pleasant and dry. During this time, accommodation and transportation may be more expensive and crowded.
Overall, the best time to visit Alleppey depends on your personal preferences and interests. You can choose to visit during the peak tourist season to enjoy the festivals and events, or you can visit during the off-peak season to avoid crowds and get lower prices.
How much will the Alleppey trip cost?
The cost of a trip to Alleppey depends on various factors such as your mode of transportation, accommodation, and activities you choose. Here are some estimates of the costs involved in a trip to Alleppey:
- Transportation: The cost of transportation depends on your starting location and the mode of transportation you choose. For example, a one-way air ticket from New Delhi to Cochin International Airport (the nearest airport to Alleppey) may cost around INR 4,000-10,000 ($55-140) depending on the airline and class of travel. A one-way bus ticket from Kochi to Alleppey may cost around INR 200-500 ($3-7).
- Accommodation: The cost of accommodation in Alleppey depends on the type of accommodation you choose. Budget options such as guest houses and hostels may cost around INR 500-1,500 ($7-20) per night. Mid-range options such as hotels and resorts may cost around INR 1,500-5,000 ($20-70) per night. Luxury options such as 5-star hotels may cost more.
- Activities: The cost of activities in Alleppey depends on the activities you choose. For example, a boat tour on the backwaters may cost around INR 1,000-2,000 ($14-28) per person. A visit to a local temple or museum may cost around INR 50-100 ($1-1.4) per person.
Overall, the cost of a trip to Alleppey may range from INR 10,000-50,000 ($140-700) or more, depending on your travel style and preferences. It is advisable to budget for your trip and make advance bookings for transportation and accommodation to get the best deals.
Places to visit in Alleppey?
There are many interesting and beautiful places to visit in Alleppey, a city located in the state of Kerala in southern India. Here are a few suggestions:
- Alleppey Beach: A popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and watching the sunset.
- Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple: A beautiful and sacred Hindu temple dedicated to the deity Lord Krishna.
- Marari Beach: A serene and unspoilt stretch of sand located a short distance from Alleppey.
- Alleppey Lighthouse: Offers panoramic views of the surrounding area and the Arabian Sea.
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary: A sanctuary home to a variety of migratory and native bird species.
- Kuttanad region: Known for its picturesque paddy fields and waterways, and can be explored by boat.
- Alappuzha CSI Christ Church: A historic place of worship with beautiful architectural features.
- Alleppey Market: Sells a variety of handicrafts, textiles, and other local souvenirs.
- Houseboat cruises: A unique and peaceful way to explore the region’s natural beauty.
- Traditional Kerala meals: Enjoy dishes like appam, idli, and dosa at a local restaurant.
How to reach Alleppey from Delhi?
There are several ways to reach Alleppey from Delhi, depending on your preferences and budget. Here are a few options:
- By air: The quickest and most convenient way to reach Alleppey from Delhi is to fly to the Kochi International Airport, which is located about an hour’s drive from Alleppey. From the airport, you can take a taxi or hire a car to reach Alleppey.
- By train: You can also reach Alleppey by taking a train from Delhi to the Alleppey Railway Station. There are several trains that operate on this route, including the Rajdhani Express and the Duronto Express.
- By road: If you prefer to travel by road, you can take a bus or hire a car to reach Alleppey from Delhi. The distance between the two cities is about 2,000 kilometers, so the journey may take around 40 hours by car. Alternatively, you can also take a flight to Kochi and then hire a car or take a bus from there to Alleppey.
Places in between Alleppey to Delhi route?
Here are 10 places that you may pass through on a route from Alleppey to Delhi:
- Kochi: A major city in the state of Kerala, known for its historical and cultural significance.
- Coimbatore: A major city in the state of Tamil Nadu, known for its industrial and commercial importance.
- Bengaluru: The capital city of the state of Karnataka, known for its vibrant culture and technology industry.
- Hyderabad: The capital city of the state of Telangana, known for its rich history and cultural diversity.
- Mumbai: The capital city of the state of Maharashtra, known for its cosmopolitan culture and bustling financial district.
- Vadodara: A city in the state of Gujarat, known for its cultural and historical significance.
- Ahmedabad: The largest city in the state of Gujarat, known for its rich cultural heritage and industrial growth.
- Udaipur: A city in the state of Rajasthan, known for its beautiful lakes and palaces.
- Jaipur: The capital city of the state of Rajasthan, known for its historical monuments and cultural attractions.
- Delhi: The capital city of India, known for its rich history, diverse culture, and bustling metropolitan atmosphere.
My Suggestion for Alleppey tour trip
There are many things to see and do in Alleppey, a city in the state of Kerala known for its beautiful backwaters and houseboat cruises. Here are a few suggestions for your tour trip:
- Take a houseboat cruise through the backwaters of Alleppey, which offer a unique and peaceful way to explore the region’s natural beauty.
- Visit Alleppey Beach, a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and watching the sunset.
- Explore the Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple, a beautiful and sacred Hindu temple dedicated to the deity Lord Krishna.
- Visit Marari Beach, a serene and unspoilt stretch of sand located a short distance from Alleppey.
- Check out the Alleppey Lighthouse, which offers panoramic views of the surrounding area and the Arabian Sea.
- Go birdwatching at the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, home to a variety of migratory and native bird species.
- Take a boat ride through the Kuttanad region, known for its picturesque paddy fields and waterways.
- Visit the Alappuzha CSI Christ Church, a historic place of worship with beautiful architectural features.
- Shop for local souvenirs at the Alleppey Market, which sells a variety of handicrafts, textiles, and other items.
- Enjoy a traditional Kerala meal at a local restaurant, where you can try dishes like appam, idli, and dosa.